Sunday, July 3, 2011

Oh Say Can You See

This morning after I woke up, I was laying in bed cuddling with Hanko and doing my morning facebook stalking. When I came across a video of deployed service members singing The National Anthem.

There is something especially emotional about hearing someone sing The Star Spangled Banner. It's undeniable. Any red-blooded American has gotten watery eyes at a sporting event when the words suddenly hit you.

This morning the words, and those singing them, hit me like a ton of heart-breaking bricks. I laid in bed sobbing and feeling exceptionally sad and patriotic.


Feast your eyes

Right?

They are so brave. Their families are so brave. I want them home. Right now.

I miss my husband so much it is physically painful. I know he misses me equally, and we are only 7 weeks and 5 days in. My heart aches for the wives, girlfriends, husbands, boyfriends, kids, moms, dads, brothers, sisters, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends of every single deployed service member, and seeing them there singing is such a reminder. I have never been so sympathetic.

This holiday has been uniquely irritating. I know I will suffer through countless holiday's without Zackery while he is gone, but none more patriotic and loud than this one. I can not ignore it. There are National Guard in uniform everywhere for the flooding, too. There are reminders everywhere.

So while I am ready for it to be over, it has left me feeling remarkably more patriotic than I have ever felt before. I am an emotional basket case. I feel for every family that is away from their brave service member. This weekend over all of my emotions I am feeling pride for what them being gone stands for.



This holiday weekend find time to thank a service member, or their family. They're not hard to find.

Or at the very least try not to complain about how your husband has to work on the Fourth after having the whole weekend off. Our spouses have to work, too.

I love my husband and I miss him with my whole heart. I can't wait til he's home.

Happy Fourth of July weekend to all those away from their families because of duty this weekend. I am proud of all of you. Thank you so much!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. God Bless all of our troops.

Anonymous said...

Tell your husband thank you for me!
Hugs!!
Gail (from the WW boards)